Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Yummy Yummy Soup & Beer Muffins

My friend Sara let me borrow her Paula Deen's Cookbook and I have been trying out a few recipes. It is hot here today but it just sounded too yummy to turn down so I tried out this recipe and altered it a little since I did not have all of the ingredients. It will probably be more soothing in the winter....but Cody & I enjoyed it on this very hot North Carolina day. Here is my version as I really really liked it.

Veggie Cheese Soup
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
4 chicken bouillon cubes
4 cups water
3 cups cubed potatoes
1 cup shredded carrots
One 20 oz. frozen package of Broccoli stir fry (includes mushroom, corn, red pepper, cauliflower, etc.)
One 10 3/4-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2-pound block Velveeta cheese product, cubed
Pepper to taste (I didn't find it needed any salt)

In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil, and add the celery, onion, and bouillon cubes. Reduce to medium heat. Cook for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, carrots, stir fry veggies, and soup, and cook until the vegetables are tender. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese. Cook, stirring gently, until the cheese has melted and the soup is hot; do not boil. Add pepper to taste.

Bubba's Beer Biscuits (From Paula Deen's Cookbook) Yields 12-16 biscuits
4 cups Bisquick
1/4 cup sugar
One 12-ounce can of beer
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients well. Pour into well greased muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

Bekki said...

YUM! I'll have to try!

timeinabottle said...

I'll tell you what. I will buy a Paula Deen cook book and you can do all the cooking when you come down this summer. The soup and biscuits sounded great.